Storm Brian is due to hit the UK this weekend, hot on the heels of his friends Aileen and Ophelia. But with such strong winds incoming, how is it going to affect flights to and from the UK?
The Met Office has issued a yellow warning for strong winds and potential flooding this Saturday, particularly for parts of southern and western England and Wales. Winds could reach speeds of up to 70mph from 4am onwards, as well as large waves and flooding potential in coastal regions.
Is Storm Brian Affecting Flights?
The Met Office has advised that some transport disruption is likely, with possible delays to road, rail, ferry and air travel.
“Gusts exceeding 50mph are expected widely within the warning area, with gusts of around 70mph along exposed coastal areas,” Chief Forecaster Dan Suri says, “These are expected to coincide with high tides, leading to locally dangerous conditions in coastal parts.”
When Storm Katie hit last year, many flights were delayed or cancelled, but in that instance winds were reaching speeds in excess of 70mph, and even 105mph in some areas.
As it stands, the winds don’t look to be of the same level, and the Met Office have opted for a yellow warning, with no plans to upgrade it to amber at this time — although they do advise the situation is under continual review.
As a result, delays and cancellations due to Storm Brian are a lot less likely, although they are still possible.
Where Can I Check My Flight Status?
Sites like Flight Aware can help you figure out if your flight is still on time simply by entering you flight number, airport or city.
Or if you’d rather contact the airports directly, their phone numbers and contact pages are listed below:
- Aberdeen Airport: 0844 481 6666
- Belfast City Airport: 0289 093 9093
- Belfast International Airport: 0289 448 4848
- Birmingham Airport: 0871 222 0072
- Bristol Airport: 0871 334 4444
- Doncaster Sheffield Airport: 0871 220 2210
- East Midlands Airport: 0800 083 8759
- Edinburgh Airport: 0844 448 8833
- Gatwick Airport: 0844 892 0322
- Glasgow Airport: 0844 481 555
- Heathrow Airport: 0844 335 1801
- Leeds Bradford Airport: 0871 288 2288
- Liverpool Airport: 0871 521 8484
- London City Airport: 0207 646 0088
- London Stansted Airport: 0844 335 1803
- Luton Airport: 01582 405 100
- Manchester Airport: 0800 042 0213
- Newcastle Airport: 0871 882 1121
- Southampton Airport: 0844 481 7777
- Southend Airport: 01702 538 500
The most important thing to remember is that everyone from the airline to the airports have your safety at heart, so you can rest easy knowing that if your flight is delayed, it’s for a very good reason. Happy flying!